Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 14 of 80<<101112131415161718>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: There goes the country club, Do we need another development?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 131
hymiebravo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2006,1:52 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 132
Botto 82 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 29 2006,1:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Quote (Replicant @ April 28 2006,8:42pm)
What really amazes me is that we as a community get bashed for letting the old high school (Cap Emmons in particular) get razed.

Then the bank building looks like that might be next (jury's still out on that one).  And again accused of not preserving our heritage.

But when the golf course is about to the bulldozed, and people get upset, all of a sudden we're now blocking progress.  :frusty:

I've felt the same on all three fronts. And I'm no golfer. You thought those Dorf episodes were funny to watch? Hand me a 5-iron and watch the divots fly.

That said, I think this is a bad idea. Here's why:

1) You've lost enough of your heritage. Stop the bleeding, and press Sparks & Co. for answers.

2) Once this is gone, it's gone for good.

3) You can't even fill the housing surplus you have now. What makes anyone think this will be any different? The suggested prices on these high-end homes are in the price range of the very income bracket that would utilize the country club, and, as has been pointed out ad nauseam, business ain't exactly booming at Ye Olde Country Club.

Get some development going. Start with that vast tumbleweed farm known as the old Farmstead site. Start asking questions about what is being done to attract large-scale industrial and business concerns, and if you're not happy with the answers the Sparks-faithful are providing, put some new people in charge of development. Don't fall for the "It's the economy" B.S., because as any conservative like Hans Jimbaugh will tell you, "The economy is booming."

--------------
Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.

- Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 133
preemptiveprevention Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2006,8:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nobody is concerned that a convicted sex offender will be a manager at a housing development that will include a swimming pool?

Just think about the problems that will happen when 14 and 15 year old teenage girls start sunbathing at the swimming pool when the convicted sex offender is managing his property?

Does Albert Lea want to take a chance with a convicted sex offender who will have access to young teenage girls in swimsuits?

--------------
Preemptive-Having power to prevent from happening or taking place.
Prevention-The act to keep from happening or existing.
 Post Number: 134
Colorado Conservative Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2006,8:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Quote (Moparman @ April 28 2006,6:17pm)
I said it once, and I'll say it again, there is plenty of room in and around A.L. to build a resort type course, and have it be a draw for people, don't look at this as losing an old delapitated country club, look at it as an opportunity to encourage real growth, find solutions in what to change, not in what not to change.[/quote]

Do you have any idea how much a new course would cost to build?  Albert Lea already has enough houses for sale (just look at Yahoo real estate).  There are about 12- 15 properties for sale within a 4 block radius of my house and the signs have been up a long time.  The last thing this town needs is another housing development.  More houses will not encourage real growth, good jobs and quality of life will.

A  saturated housing market can be from two different reasons.

1.  A market where people can no longer afford the houses they bought (adjustable rate mortgages going up, job loss, etc...)

2.  A market where people are making money on the sale of their houses, and are upgrading to bigger or newer homes, which intern drives others to do the same.

Looking at this from a distance, and after selling our fathers house for medical reasons (now in nursing home), I tend to think people are seeling their homes at a good profit and moving into these new homes being built (Chapeau, Tiger Hills, etc..)  or just upgrading in general................this is a trend we have seen in Colorado for quite sometime, and it just keeps fueling itself...........and with this comes new retail, and out here within in a 20 mile radius of us we have about 5 new spectacular golf courses, all open to the public, but only one is owned and run by a municipality, the rest are privately owned and run for profit.......which intern drives the housing market by offering homes on the golf course, this cycle can be a good thing, depending on what is the driving force behind it.

--------------
Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it.

- Henry David Thoreau 1817-1862

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower 1890-1969
 Post Number: 135
preemptiveprevention Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2006,8:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Quote (preemptiveprevention @ April 30 2006,8:23am)
Nobody is concerned that a convicted sex offender will be a manager at a housing development that will include a swimming pool?

Just think about the problems that will happen when 14 and 15 year old teenage girls start sunbathing at the swimming pool when the convicted sex offender is managing his property?

Does Albert Lea want to take a chance with a convicted sex offender who will have access to young teenage girls in swimsuits?

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

--------------
Preemptive-Having power to prevent from happening or taking place.
Prevention-The act to keep from happening or existing.
 Post Number: 136
JohnDoe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2006,8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think we have anything to worry about.  I've never heard of a developer actually managing a pool in their own development. I would imagine he would be busy with the construction and sales.  Also, I heard that the pool and tennis courts will be association owned and maintained.  That means that the homeowners themselves would hire the lifeguards and manager, so it wouldn't be the developer.
 Post Number: 137
usmcr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2006,9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

taxable value $215,000! this seems like a very low figure for the c.c.!  does anyone have tax info for green lea for comparison? are both golf courses in the city limits? has the c.c. value increased like the housing values in a.lea? could it be that the c.c. has been favored over the years & low balled on their taxes! as stated in the previous post this land needs to be revalued at its current value.

--------------
"Do not confuse dissent with disloyalty"  Edward R Murrow

Memento homo quia pulvis es, et in pulverem veverteris
 Post Number: 138
anymom Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2006,10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Colorado Conservative......Just wondered how your Father is doing?
 Post Number: 139
scorenix Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2006,12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Quote (Colorado Conservative @ April 30 2006,8:26am)
1.  A market where people can no longer afford the houses they bought (adjustable rate mortgages going up, job loss, etc...)

Real estate values are a function of a number of variables, none of which are positive for Albert Lea:  (i) local demand and supply - supply of new homes is increasing while local demand is pretty much restricted to the existing local base, (ii) prevailing interest rates - which are rising, (iii) property taxes - which are slated to rise substantially in 2007, and, (iv) available income - which is stagnant in Albert Lea.

The new jobs being created are at/or around $10 an hour.  That's $20,080 a year.  Median household income is about $38,000.  Approximately 225 households in Freeborn County have $150,000 plus a year in household income.

Eagles Rest will have to rely on outsiders coming into Albert Lea.  These high income outsiders have a lot of other areas with which to choose.  What is Albert Lea's selling point over Mankato and Rochester?

--------------
"Here is something for those who think I have not done much on my own to think about.  I must then be one of the luckiest people around, and I think I am, I should then be able to keep that same luck going for the benefit of our area." - New ALEDA Executive Director Dan Dorman.
 Post Number: 140
Liberal Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 30 2006,1:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

What is Albert Lea's selling point over Mankato and Rochester?

My guess would be

(1) Property taxes subsidized by Local Government Aid
(2) Crime Rate
(3) Cheap Waterfront property

--------------
The people are masters of both Congress and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert it!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
792 replies since Apr. 15 2006,6:24 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 14 of 80<<101112131415161718>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply There goes the country club
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon